Ask the community

Have a question? Need some support? Members-only room for you to seek support. 

Do you manage employee engagement surveying? What are your plans?

Started about 2 months ago

One aspect of my role involves managing employee surveying.

Historically, we've run an annual survey and pulses hadn't worked, but we introduced them 12 months ago and they worked fairly well. We're running our last pulse this month and will then review what we do next, possibly just one more 'annual' survey in Q4, depending what the different business units feel might work.

We went digital in 2019 and maintained our response rate, but there are some who feel a return to paper might help increase involvement.

I'd love to share ideas and challenges with other members who also manage surveying.

The demand for employee surveys is on the rise again according to our friends at Ragan Consulting in Chicago.  Bosses are getting concerned that after a year of lockdown they are losing the early engagement gains of last year.  Jim Ylisela has produced a good guide that is free to download.

Hi Rachel.  It's a great question!  I've managed lots of engagement surveys over the years, and the key for me is how you show employees that their voice is being heard.  This may sounds obvious but a survey simply provides data - it's what you do with it that counts.  I know it's easy to say and you can't tackle everything.

On a practical basis, you might want to consider:

1.  Discussing the results with your leadership team.  Make sure you find out what surprises them, concerns them, delights them etc.

2.  Agreeing no more than 3 topics that the business will work on over the next 3 / 6 months.

3.  Communicating a summary of results with the organisation, including the agreed topics to work on.

4.  Enlisting key stakeholders / sponsors to drive agreed actions.

5.  Communicating regular progress updates.

Great idea to share ideas with this community and I would be very pleased to help in any way.

Larraine

Thanks both. Lorraine, I agree with all your points. I've managed surveys for about 20 years myself and the old chestnut of 'is it really anonymous' always comes up, including from people who really should know!